- ProductsFeatured ProductsGeotextilesGeogridsStormwaterReinforced Soil SystemsBlock Retaining SystemsGabionsSediment Retention PondsSite SuppliesSilt ControlDewatering & DrainageTurf MattingEarth AnchoringCulvert FlumesDrainage CompositesErosion Control MattingPermeable PavingImpermeable LinersPavement SurfaceGeocellsShear Lock®Concrete Mattresses
- Contact Us
Queenstown Airport Infrastructure Improvements – Duragrid & Duraflow
Queenstown, one of the fastest growing regions in New Zealand, and always a top destination for our ever-increasing tourism market, has just set the benchmark for seamless infrastructure improvements at the International Airport. Cirtex was pleased to be involved in the project.
In November 2015, work started on an $18 million series of significant airfield infrastructure improvements designed to pave the way for evening flights in winter 2016 and improve overall safety and efficiency of operations.
Downer New Zealand and Beca were commissioned to complete these major works. Meticulous planning and organisation were crucial for this project, with the majority of the tasks being completed during the night, outside of the airport operating hours.
Cirtex was approached by Downer New Zealand to look at what solutions we could provide to replace an aggregate drainage blanket required underneath the pavement for drainage, along with reinforcing the pavement section of the new runway. Cirtex supplied custom rolls of DuraFlow™ drainage composite product to suit the excavation width; this was chosen due to the cost and on-site time savings it provided. A layer of DuraGrid geogrid was placed directly over the DuraFlow to give reinforcement to the pavement.
Throughout the 19,000m2 project, Cirtex offered constant assistance with all site related inquiries and installation support. From ensuring the product was correctly dispatched at the manufacturer to being installed accurately on-site, Cirtex was on hand.
Doug Forsyth, Downer Project Manager, commented:
“The support Cirtex provided was outstanding and definitely beyond the call of duty, a few examples:
1. Cirtex found an alternative product to what was specified at a high price.
2. Cirtex managed to source the required quantity of what was a nonstandard product by sourcing material from many different suppliers overseas to meet our very short delivery window.
3. Cirtex tracked our usage of the product through close coordination on an almost daily basis, and at times had a better handle on how much product we had on site than we had ourselves!
4. On one occasion when delivery was delayed (due to a transport company issue), and we ran short of product, Cirtex made a trip all the way from Christchurch to Queenstown towing a trailer to make sure we had product for the next night shift.
Altogether outstanding support, and I would not hesitate to recommend Cirtex to anyone.”
Overall the collaboration between Downer, Beca, and Cirtex ensured the tight supply window was met. Cirtex was able to provide a solution within budget without causing any delays to the project with such a crucial time frame.